Monday, October 18, 2004

Grocery girl

The case of Eunilaine vs. Glori’s


Eunilaine – or Yonileyn as we fondly call it -- has been my grocery store since 1992! (hehe) Even when I moved two jeep rides away, I still went to my original Yoni near my office. Or failing that, the Yoni nearer the new home.

Yonileyn only really fails me because it does not carry my toothpaste (a reason to mall when I run out) and because when they started fixing Kalayaan Avenue, it became too taxing to cross the street for the dust and the exhaust fumes. (I picked up my tissues and wheat bread at the winning Breadwinner convenience store instead.)

We even buy birthday gifts from Yoni!! (hehe!)

Now I live nearer a Glori’s. It’s a tad more expensive because it’s open 24 hours but I can walk to it. I can still ride a trike to Yoni if I insist. But at any given time, it’s a toss-up between the two. Why so?

It’s more exciting to shop at Yonileyn because they carry more goods. And they carry more single-girls fetish or fad goods such as the bottled green tea and all Hershey chocolate flavors and roomie’s and my cereal of choice – almond nut crunch! As they do bottled kimchi and the occasional cute candle-holder.

But if you’re hankering for rice and ulam and can’t be bothered to cook, there’s loads more Pinoy food places by the Glori’s. It doesn’t stock my favorite since elem days Granny Goose tortilla chips (yes priestess, they are unfortunately on the GMO list :D) though. Also, my old reliable brands for laundry soap and fresh milk can’t be found at Glori’s. I often find myself pouting while scouting around that place. But then again, they have nachos :D

But the real honest-to-goodness reason I go to Glori’s -- my personal treat on grocery runs -- is this little magazine stall in it. This yummy mag shop has all sorts of house and home magazines on sale all the time.

Grin. Supplies for the addicted. For this vice, I’ve switched laundry soaps.

No comments: