Sunday, July 02, 2006

still the one

Our old friends D and B are getting married.

Us bridesmaids against marriage (in principle... we adore the groom), we scared her witless with veiled mentions about the bridal shower we hosted, something involving tiring super late nights in a row. She said she was more scared of what could happen in the bridal shower than even the organizing nightmare of a wedding.

Oh, it was lovely. In a cozy room filled with old friends (women only, please, and absolutely no strippers), we gathered round the yummy pasta with puttanesca sauce, the laptop and the projector, and the projected image of the bride... hehe!

After chow and a trivia game of many juicy details, we started on the presentation that involved floating pictures from many many years ago and just last month, loads of alcohol and memories, loads of men, and special video clips of interviews with the bride's men. Yes, her men: romantic liaisons, intimate friends, fabricated men, and chasees.

The best bits, in my view, were the chase scenes, where the production crew fell all over themselves chasing men trying to get away from the interview. Hihi! Off they went into the elevator, and down the stairs.

The soundtrack: Wild women do and they don't regret it ... what you only dream about, wild women do! And then too, it's raining men! alleluia! ... it's raining men! Amen!

A highlight too was the ritual based on the one where old lovers return their keys to the bride's place. In our version, with each seashell we placed into a glass filled with cleansing salt water, we uttered our wishes for the bride to be healed of wounds from past experiences with men, for her to be able to continue on the new stage in her journey. And us too.

Much much later, early the next day, the bride sang Shania Twain's Still The One which is this mega annoying song because it's so so so so D and B together, it drives you to rivers of tears...

Looks like we made it
Look how far we've come my baby
We mighta took the long way
We knew we'd get there someday

They said, "I bet they'll never make it"
But just look at us holding on
We're still together still going strong

You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night

Ain't nothin' better
We beat the odds together
I'm glad we didn't listen
Look at what we would be missin'

They said, "I bet they'll never make it"
But just look at us holding on
We're still together still going strong

You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night


p.s. come back tomorrow for pics ;)

No comments: