Saturday, November 19, 2005

please show up

your presence is important :)

there's also a politics to presence, the politics of showing up.

for instance, my big boss of two weeks, almost hyperventilating from his work anxieties, wanted me to be there in his presence working away on this one particular day. though i wanted to indulge him just to reassure him that everyone was on top of the paper including me, i wasn't free that entire afternoon, so i walked past his frown and out the gate.

(i was sure though that the world would continue to turn without me that afternoon... i had done my part, and it was the others' turn, and i would be back on track the next day.)

but i understood -- having learned this the hard way long ago -- that sometimes it's necessary or diplomatic or reassuring or political to be there. or at least let others know where you're at and how. if, for no other reason than to make them feel better :D.

No comments: