Saturday, December 03, 2005

can't decide about the capitals

hello, love,

have you ever read carol shields? she's beautiful. in her novel Unless:

It is not true that people in long marriages dissolve into each other, becoming one being. I touch Tom's elbow, the sleeve of his tan jacket; he places his long arms around me and his hands cup my breasts in the friendliest possible way. We are two people in a snapshot, but with a little cropping we could each exist on our own. But that's not what we want. Hold the frame still, contain us, the two of us together, that's what we ask for. This is all it takes to keep the world from exploding.


the above is a bad excerpt for Unless which is really about the character Reta Winter's (Summer is her single name) grief over her daughter's grief at discovering that the world limits her merely to goodness, and not greatness.

a quiet novel. (thanks mom)

***

roommie and I are planning a trip to England.

England for me has often been a place of comfort. I schedule it at the end of heartbreak, or to experience deadly diseases like chicken pox. (I apologize once again to the two Dutch souls I sat next to on the plane; I was unaware I had chicken pox). And while I have sat on trains, going home to the northwest part, quiet for a few days or a few hours and deeply disappointed, I have not had my heart broken in England. Also while I have sat in darkened rooms at dawn lonely and cold and chatting with friends far away, Cadbury always managed to revive me.

and mom.

hehe :)

No comments: