Monday, February 20, 2006

The natural buoyancy of souls

What goes down must come up, isn’t one of the more reassuring phrases dive instructors can say to students. It doesn’t guarantee life :D. But it’s true though, and divers can count on it. If you stay still, and don’t panic, and take off all things that weigh you down, you will eventually reach the surface. (In fact, it’s often worse if you reach the surface too soon because you need to give enough time to emit the nitrogen you take in underwater … or something like that hahaha … I obviously need a refresher course).

My soul is sending up the occasional bubbles, in the form of bits of songs. They arise unexpectedly, come from a particular chunk of my growing up years, and usually match my mood/ thoughts. It’s been a bit striking such that I’ve taken to paying attention. For instance, as I stepped out of the shower: if you remember me, I hope you see, it’s not the way I want it to be, or I’ll be with you now, but wherever I go, my love goes with you, keep on smiling, keep on shinin’, sometimes even time can come between…

Yes, like that. Going straight back to the days when I had gotten hold of my uncle’s copy of a Jingle magazine containing lots of Billy Joel’s old songs (Friday night I crashed your party, Saturday I said I’m sorry, Sunday came and you trashed me out again, I was only having fun, wasn’t hurting anyone, and they all enjoyed the weekend for a change…) that I learned by heart and can sing like any rock star without an audience. :P

Or when my college-age older cousins taught me this ritual where you wrote a question pertaining to your love life, and the name of the object of affection on a piece of paper, burned the paper over a candle, placed the ashes under your pillow, turned on the radio, and the third song would be the answer to your question. No kidding.

My secret life as a 12, 13, 14-year-old revealed here for all to see. Hehe.

And so these songs that I just suddenly find myself singing, they aren’t LSS because they are hardly played anywhere anymore. It’s just my consciousness telling me what’s up, sister, in my truly present :).

No comments: